VOLUNTEER submission form
Please provide your basic information and we will forward it to the agency for follow up.
Please note: the completion of the application process does not guarantee a volunteer placement with Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Bay and District.
How it Works
How The Volunteering Process Works
The order of the steps in the application and assessment process can vary from agency to agency, but the following is a general overview of the process. You, the volunteer applicant:
- Completes an application with their local agency
- Submits a vulnerable sector check and three references
- Participates in a one-to-one interview with a staff member at the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency
- Depending on the program, may be asked to participate in an assessment of their home environment
- Successfully completes an orientation and child safety training
- Is notified of their acceptance/non-acceptance
- If accepted as a volunteer mentor, signs an agreement of confidentiality
The Matching Process
Similar to the application and assessment process, the matching process can vary from agency to agency and from program to program, but in general:
- The caseworker, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and with the family
- The caseworker arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and the parent or guardian
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!